Wednesday, October 19, 2005

MPs see sense. Come on LIAM

Last night the Conservative MPs knocked Ken Clarke out of the leadership contest. I respect Mr Clarke's political experience, but have always thought him the least likely candidate to attract the floating voters. So I think our MPs made the right choice. As I mentioned in my BLOG of 6th October, I believe Liam Fox has youth and experience on his side, and in my view will make not just an excellent leader of the Party, but an excellent Prime Minister. So my prediction, a Davis Fox final, with Fox the winner. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Modern Conservative said...

Speaking as a Conservative voter don't you think sometimes Liam overeggs it a bit? For instance his idea that schools should fly the Union Flag. I agree with him that it's mad to call it racist i just suspect he brought up the point in order so some mad lefties would call it racist so he could then condemn as a "crazed politically correct brigade". It's pandering to the right when we need votes in the centre.

His leadership campaign feels exactly like the 2001 campaign in its tone and approach in the way he focuses on Europe. To win the Conservatives need new voters to vote for them and during all his time as Shadow Health Secretary and then Chairman he didn't demonstrate the ability to bring them in. My othe concern is the infamous joke he once had to apoligise for. It shows pretty poor judgement on his part that he told it. It was fairly offensive and wasn't very funny.