Monday, November 14, 2005

PC Madness

For those of you that know me, you will already be aware that Political Correctness is one subject that really gets me riled. I find it unecessary and believe it causes more problems that it is supposed to solve.

Recently I learnt that I am no longer meant to addess an audience as Ladies and Gentlemen, as that may cause offence. OFFENCE TO WHOM? I am now supposed to use the PC address of 'Women and Men'. Well I won't.

I read that yesterday in Walton, Essex, the traditional firing of a salute to mark the start and end of the Last Post had been cancelled for Rememberance Sunday on the grounds of Health and Safety. Don't laugh - it's true. The local RNLI used to fire maroons, but they have been advised that debris could blow back to the shore by the wind, causing a health and safety crisis. What a disgrace.

And of course, as we get closer to Christmas we will get the rampant PC assault on Christianity. The Red Cross still can't sell Christmas cards in their shops as it may cause offence to non-Chrisitians. Lowestoft Council have banned Christmas lights in the town as they do not fit with their policy on equality and diversity!! We are no longer supposed to use the term BC (Before Christ), we have to use BP (Before Present) and staff at the Inland Revenue have been banned from helping a Christian charity.

Surely it is not racist or exclusive that in a Chrsitian country with a Christian history we are allowed to practice a Christian faith. I know of Christian schools that have recently celebrated Diwali and Eid - and so they should - so I totally oppose this unwarranted secularist onslaught on Christian traditions.

The really annoying thing is that this hapless PC army are invariably funded by the taxer payer. New Zealand have recently appointed a Political Correctness Eradication spokesman - maybe we are at the stage where we need to do the same.

Let me know what you think and if you hear of any really absurd examples of Political Correct nonsense, please let me know.

No comments: